Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Motherhood

I have been working my way through The Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson.

I am getting so much out of this book. I have read so many parenting books but most center around discipline and correction. This book teaches and inspires me to build a Christ centered relationship with my children. Is is very practical in the many areas of guiding, training and influencing my children.

For someone who did not grow up in a Christian home with strong family relationships it is such a blessing! She walks through what it looked like to build faith, trust, hope, purpose, grace and service into her family. It has been so encouraging and inspiring.

"Knowing the limitations of my responsibility has actually been quite freeing to me. I can be God's agent of cultivating the hearts of my children;  in fact, I'm supposed to fill that role. But only God can give them life, strength, and divine guidance. This means my success in life or motherhood or as a Christian is not dependent on my being perfect, but my allowing God, in the Person of the Holy Spirit, to work through me to accomplish his purposes. His life is far more powerful and authoritative than mine. As I depend on him, he who began a work in me will perfect it (Philippians 1:6) He will do the same for the precious ones he has entrusted me.

That understanding is one of the finest gifts of faith I can ever give my children. Even as I depend on the Lord, I must help them learn to depend on him. I must use as many ways as I can think of, as Christ did, to convey to them that none of us has to live the Christian life alone."

2 comments:

Christine said...

My library doesn't carry her books, but I have one on hold from interlibrary loan. I am so looking forward to her wisdom! Nice review.

Cara said...

So good!

Thanks for sharing this quote!