Monday, March 21, 2011

Something to Ponder Today

"How do you see your children? What informs your mind when you look upon their sweet faces? Do you see them through the eyes of Jesus? Do you focus on them as someone to police or correct–or someone to love and serve, understand, protect, love and instruct?

As in all great work, it requires so very much time, effort, work, fortitude, faith and patience. But raising Godly children is of the most important work in eternity."

Read the entire post at I Take Joy.

I come from the background of formula parenting and and being "productive" as the highest priority. Though I have come a long way in the last several years.....I have a long way to go. I so appreicate Sally's heart and wisdom in parenting and loving our children.

I am looking forward to the remainder of her posts on parenting.

4 comments:

Christine said...

That mountain view on her blog blesses me tremendously. I couldn't get the url right for her new blog for longest time. I have no idea why. It kept leading me to one of her old blogs. I am looking forward to reading her post after the kiddos go to sleep. Have a good night!

Christine said...

I just read her piece. She wrote a very nice article. She was very careful to express love and not condemnation to those who might not agree with her. Maybe she got a lot of negative comments the last time? I only read the first fifteen or so comments from her other post.

I do agree that it is when our children are very young that we think we can follow a formula. But as they age, and especially if we have a special-needs child or two, it becomes pretty clear that discipline formulas don't work; they don't nourish or even address the heart.

We need to get at their hearts as quickly as possible, establishing a deep connection well before the teenage years. Discipline formulas I think drive us apart from our kids, instead.

I guess the first several years I thought since kids didn't have adult responsibilities, their lives were easier. But we humans are a moody, needy bunch and children present no exception to this.

It's hard to have parents always telling you what to do and when to do it--no matter what you're doing. When I really begin to think of it that way, I realized they have as much stress as we do.

Sally is such a dear woman! I hope she gets very supportive comments. I am shy about commenting when I don't know the writer, but I think I'll go back over there and say something to her.

Thanks for the link. I probably wouldn't have taken the time to read that otherwise--even though I have her on my blog roll.

Sandi said...

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I am drawn to the "grace" in her parenting and writing. We can never have too much of that. And I think in the past I have tended to require obedience for obedience sake not to get to the heart and point them to God.

Glad it blessed you..always appreciate your thoughts.

Stephanie said...

I love this! I, too, come from a "formula" background. Now I am having to re-learn and un-do...So posts like Sally's are so very, very helpful in learning to mother with grace. Thank you!