Friday, November 05, 2010

Negotiable Convictions

Judgement has been on my mind lately.

Partly, because I have been the recipient of it and the dispenser of it in my heart.

Matthew 7

What I am struggling with is this slight, sly and non-threatening thing called legalism. It creeps it's way in ever so easily. It is the enemy of liberty and steals the joy from each story that God is writing in each life. When we take the liberties we are given as Christians and turn them into law we destroy relationship, which is the vehicle of the gospel. Him glorified is the priority not the method in which he is glorified.

There is definite and clear non negotiable truth but why do we take those areas of choice and turn them into do's and don'ts.

Why do we size up other peoples lives based on our own opinions and convictions (negotiable convictions)?

Why do we act as if God can only be at work when it looks like (fill in the blank)?

In my experience, I have found that those who have suffered much judge little and offer much grace. I know that what I have faced in my own life has made me far less critical of others. We have no idea the work that God is doing in a life or family that looks entirely different then our own.

Is there someone you know who needs grace today? Someone you may differ with in method but not principle. God is glorified when we prefer others over ourselves and our negotiable convictions.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Beautiful post!

Cara said...

This is something I think about more and more as I get older. It's a balancing act for me to seek to grow in clarity of conviction for myself and yet not judge others who differ from me. It's so worth the effort, though. Judging not only grieves the heart of God and alienates my neighbors--it robs me of the opportunity to humbly sift through what others say and learn from them.

Sandi said...

Thanks for your thoughts Cara,

Each life, each story, each person is so precious and He is at work....I don't want to miss out on those relationships. I don't want to be divided by something insignificant.

Sandi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.