Saturday, September 11, 2010

Buckets or Fire

I been trying to create a big post with all the resources we are using this year. It ain't happened!

I have about 15 minutes let's see how far we get.

First I wanted to share the newest home education book I am reading. Real Learning has been on my "to read" list for some time. After reading the first chapter I can see the spark it's going to create. The author is Catholic so there are references to that but it is resource able to be used by all.

A quote I read tonight:

Education is not filling a bucket, but lighting a fire.   William Butler Yeats

I can't seem to get away from this. How many times do I simply fill the bucket?

How many times do I check of my list and call that a day of learning?

Systematic is not bad BUT learning comes in SO many different ways. I want to see learning in these moments not just seeing it in the paperwork.

I am on a mission to get some of THAT ground back. Learning through curiosity, exploration, ideas and unscripted moments. Like for example the 20 minute discussion when my daughter took Mr. Virgil M. Hillyer to task over his description of beginning times. There are a few places in A Child's History of the World that are sketchy in my opinion and my daughters. It was so interesting to hear her thoughts on all she's read about evolution and creation. We need to chat more. Given the right setting she has lots to say. There was more value in that conversation then any book report or worksheet.

I had plans to go into a new reading/spelling program we started two weeks ago but my 15 minutes are up.

I type slow or maybe it's that I think slow. :o)

No comments: