Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Map Continued

I should first start off by saying that it's not as if I think I have anything to offer Africa. It's just been there for much of my life.....this ache to go. Nor do I think that my neighbour across the street needs the gospel less then those overseas or that the higher calling is that of a missionary.

I do however know that our culture and abundant life style dulls us to how the rest of the world lives. We are the minority when it comes to the standard of living. Even our poor are much more rich then the poor in countries like Haiti, most of Africa and Asia.

I have been thinking about that map and the seed God planted because I feel lulled into passivity at times. I feel abundance sucking me into this chasm of self focus. I know of no plans to go to Africa any time soon (anything is possible). But it is making me think about where I AM right now. Where am I passing someone by who is in need because I'm busy or rushing to the next event. Is my life too crowded with stuff? Not just things like new counter tops or furniture but preoccupation with myself. Thinking of my own pleasure, hobbies and time. Where have I been convinced that my time is mine, my money belongs to me and that I order my steps?

I find my North American culture harder to navigate at times then living in a third world country. The needs are so obvious there and life is simple. You work to survive instead of survive to work. I get so distracted.

Don't see this as a criticism but an opportunity. I have heard time and time again that we shouldn't feel guilty for living in a blessed country. I agree just as long as we also believe we were given this lot by grace alone and what we are given is not our won. Though we can work hard for a good life in North America we certainly didn't have a thing to do with where we were born......and honestly that's half the battle when it comes to earthly means.

I have been following this blog lately and her trip to Africa with Compassion. This particular post impacted me greatly. It is good for us to see these stories and realize we have so much given to us that we did not earn. Also how a little makes such a difference. What these kids overcome is truly amazing. And I am not promoting Compassion for any other reason except that I love them. They are simply doing what needs doing.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Sandi~
I like the way your mind works. I've had many of the same thoughts, especially this part:

I find my North American culture harder to navigate at times then living in a third world country. The needs are so obvious there and life is simple. You work to survive instead of survive to work. I get so distracted.

I've been following We Are That Family's posts, too- and really appreciate her posts.

Blessings to you, friend, as we press on in love and obedience to God- in *this* culture!

Sandi said...

Thanks Stacy,

I do feel like an odd duck sometimes. :o)