Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I Love Rod and Staff!

It's not everyone's cup of tea. Honestly I wasn't sold on it till recently. I even recall giving away some of the very books I just purchased this year. I wasn't into the bible workbook thing. My nine year old daughter loves their Bible reading and workbooks. She is doing them over the summer for fun. She is absorbing so much Bible understanding. As she gets more and more familiar with the knowledge of the Bible the discussions on theology and the living relationship are so much easier. We are also using their grade 4 Language this year as recommended in the Well Trained Mind. Last year our language was all literature based and this year I want something more rigorous.

The real love for me this year is their Grade 1 Reading and Phonics Program. I taught my oldest to read with library books, literature and a few readers. She was reading at 4 1/2 easily. She is very left brained, orderly and responsible. This year I am teaching a very different learner to read. He is a very right brained, spatial, picture based, hands on learner who is on move. He needs short fun lessons. At first I was a skeptic about R&S for reading, thinking it was just another workbook. I have discovered that it uses whole language and phonics combined. Some thing my memory based learner needs in order to read. The straight phonics just doesn't click with him. I also love the discussion all based around a biblical theme. It also has cut and paste activities that go with each lesson. If he can use his hands he will learn! I just discovered today they use a Blending Slide. The consonant is at the top where you then slide down with your finger and collide into the vowel to make two letter blends. This is right up his alley. Colliding anything including letters is a favorite.

I haven't actually used it so I could be all excited for nothing. Still in the planning stage for next year but wanted to share as I make my plans. I love finding something that I think will work for a particular child. That's our job after all. To train and teach them on every level. I'm grateful for how R&S is serving my family in doing that.

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

momma's heart said...

Thank you for taking the time to write that post on my comment section. I was in tears reading it. I am so very sorry you and your precious baby were treated so badly! Your story helps me sort things out.

Thank you, again!