Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It's Simple

I think I should have been born in a different era. I feel so out of place sometimes. I would much rather live in the country then the city. I can't stand crowds, loud events, or bling. I would fit right in Little House on the Prairie. With the exception of my computer, washer and car I would be fine. I like pulling my food from the ground to eat it. Don't mind reaching under a hen to get my eggs or working hard. I long for my kids to dig big holes, build forts, explore and climb trees. All the lawns where I live now are manicured and the rocks are store bought.

Today in the grocery store with three kids I got the most annoying.... I mean interesting stares. As you probably have experienced, it can take awhile to bag an entire cart of groceries with three (or more) little ones in tow. My oldest is eight which even makes things go faster yet we weren't fast enough. We were such an inconvenience it seemed to those around us. So in a hurry to get onto where ever they were going and my family was holding them up. I felt pressured to hurry up and get out of the way.

I was chatting with a friend the other day who just got an iPod phone. We were discussing how you can be anywhere, get anything you want when you want it and how dangerous that can be. All these things we have to make our lives so much easier, actually in my opinion, can make it much more complicated. The very thing meant to create more time just takes up our time differently. There is demand for the "instant" in our culture that I find alarming.

I have great dreams of living a self sustaining life style as much as possible not because I am super supportive of going green, or natural living (which is important to me) but because I want my life to be simple. I want room to live slowly and deliberately, peacefully. What's funny about all this is I have a husband who works in the tech industry....I will never get away from it.
Hear me out, I am not saying technology is bad....I really like my computer. But I am saying it can become all consuming and instead of being helpful it becomes a hindrance.

I am stepping off my soapbox now :o)
I so want to have space in my life to really live, which as simple as it sounds, is going to the grocery store with my kids and not getting stared down like I have a dreaded disease.

No comments: