Thursday, March 12, 2009

Circle Time Continued....


Another big aspect to our circle time is poetry memorization. When my oldest was in grade one we used First Language Lessons and memorized the poems provided there. The next year we started memorizing form this list made by my friend Heather at Stepping Heavenward. She has a great talent for organizing and then being generous with it....so why re-invent the wheel. Most of the things I do are not my original idea. I love to glean and learn from others.

My daughter Journey is still memorizing this year from a list of poems Heather compiled and my five year old son is memorising from Robert Louis Stevenson's "A Child's Garden of Verses."

I have a sticker chart for each of them. Every time they memorize something weather it be a verse or poem they get a sticker. After ten stickers they get a prize.

This week my eight year old is working on this poem:

Pippa's Song

The year's at the spring,

And day's at the morn;

Morning's at seven;

The hill-side's dew-pearl'd;

The lark's on the wing;

The snail's on the thorn;

God's in His heaven--

All's right with the world!

Robert Browning
My five year old this poem:
Rain
The rain is falling all around,
It falls on field and tree,
It rains on the umbrellas here,
And on the ships at sea.
Robert Louis Stevenson
We are just beginning a new aspect to our Circle Time which is a prayer bowl. I got this idea from my friend Stacy at With Great Joy (see very few original ideas :o). We write on pieces of paper the request and then each day pull one out to prayer for that person. Once we prayer for everyone over a few days, we put them back in the bowl and add new ones as they come up. We always have someone to pray for and I find with little kids it gets them off of praying for toys and objects onto praying for people in a fun natural way.
We also use Circle Time to discuss assignments for the day and any activities going on. I will share what that looks like for us in my next and last post about Circle Time.

1 comment:

Marian said...

So cool...thanks for all the helpful info. I love the prayer bowl idea! Grace & Peace