Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Reading

I love to read....especially aloud to my children. I have already checked out books from the library for my 3 month old. You know the ones with big baby faces in them. He loves them...as if he doesn't get enough of all the faces constantly cooing back at him everyday.

I read many books to my now 8 year old when she was younger but have found it harder to find interesting read alouds for a very busy, very boy, five year old. Isaac is just this year getting into read alouds where as before he wouldn't sit still long enough to listen. We recently read The Dragon Boy and The Water Horse both by Dick King-Smith. We finished the Water Horse just today. We have very much enjoyed both books. It amazes me how captured Isaac has been by the stories. All of King-Smith's books aren't particularly boy stories. They mostly are about animals and children. He uses humor in his books which the kids really enjoy. I haven't ran across one of his books yet that we didn't like. However, today as I reserved books online at my local library, I came across a book by him about a girl who befriends a talking rabbit who is actually an alien. It gave me a chuckle but not characteristic of his books.

What are some of your favorite read alouds?

How do you like my Shelfari book case ? I have this thing for bookcases because they hold many books :o) It looks much nicer then listing the books we are reading. I saw it on Elise's blog .

No comments: