Friday, November 14, 2008

Busyness

Lazy? Not me. I’m busy. Up early, up late. My schedule is filled from beginning to end. I love what I do and I love getting stuff done. I attack a daily to-do list with the same intensity I play basketball. Me lazy? I don’t think so! Or at least I didn’t think so. That is, until I read about the difference between busyness and fruitfulness, and realized just how often my busyness was an expression of laziness, not diligence. I forget now who first brought these points to my attention. But the realization that I could be simultaneously busy and lazy, that I could be a hectic sluggard, that my busyness was no immunity from laziness, became a life-altering and work-altering insight. What I learned is that:

Busyness does not mean I am diligent
Busyness does not mean I am faithful
Busyness does not mean I am fruitful.........

Read the rest of the post at CJ Mahaney's blog


"The realization that I can be simultaneously busy and lazy, a hectic sluggard".....OUCH!

A hectic sluggard keeps ringing in my ears. This post hits home on many levels. I am always fighting for efficiency but often while running in circles. I so quickly forget the true priority and calling I have, which is God first and them my family. Even when I am serving my family I can be lazy which then causes a hectic scramble later that I will blame on everyone else. I also see where I lack love in how I do things because I was a sluggard and now need to catch up. Definitely plan to spend more time thinking and praying through this (while taking the fact that I have a newborn into consideration). I long to be fruitful not just busy and efficient. I always thought doing things in the fastest way was fruitful....not so sure anymore.

Does this ring true with anyone else?

4 comments:

Jorge and Karen Silva said...

I´m gonna have to chew on that one! Unfortunately it is hitting a chord with me though! :) Uugghhh!

By the way...Eli is adorable!!!!!!

Luv ya!

Hester said...

Oh... that's so true. I'll often create busyness in order to avoid getting real in my relationships with my children and my Lord!
Hes

Anonymous said...

Hi my friend congradulations on your new little one. So incredibly happy for you and the family. Love you always

mama lee

Elise said...

Of course you're not lazy! :) Isn't it funny how we have to adjust every time we have a baby- and remind ourselves that we just. can't. get. everything. done.

Find what's important and keep that at the center, and don't plan on getting anything done! That's how I survive, and anything I do get done is just a bonus! :)

Oh, Eli is an angel, friend, you are so blessed.