Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Where Home Is

I read this post over at Girl Talk. It encouraged me in an area few things have. We have moved SO much in the last few years, it has concerned me at times for our children. This post helped me realize that our "home" is where we live and love together no matter the wall color or neighborhood. Where I am their mama, that is our home!

Each time I’ve visited Mom’s house recently, it looks different than the time before. Another room sits bare. The living room is stacked higher with more Dole fruit boxes, appropriately labeled.
The house has undergone a lot of changes over the years. In fact, although my parents lived in the same house for twenty-two years, our house never stayed the same. Mom’s daily effort was to make it more beautiful, comfortable, welcoming, and useful.
We aren’t a terribly sentimental family when it comes to stuff. My parents never spent too much time living in the past—there is so much to do in the present! So our home wasn’t about preserving memories so much as making more.


Finish reading here.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Even though we've never moved, I was encouraged too!