Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Little Experiment

We as a family are doing a little experiment. My husband and I have been kicking around the idea for a while. Sunday we packed up the TV, DVD player and VCR (yes we still have one, if you can believe that ) and put it in our closet. It's buried!
We've never had cable until 8 months ago.....we were roped into some deal for $10.00 a month. It was kinda fun having the history and discovery channel. I also got into all the home decorating shows.....a little too much really. When the deal was over we cancelled but found we could still get about 5 channels through the cable because of our high speed internet. I love free stuff!
It's funny because I didn't really watch too much TV, maybe about 6-8 hours a week but I found that I started to look too forward to it. I was starting to rush to get things done to plop and veg. We were curious. What would we do without any media entertainment for 30 days? Would we go crazy? Would the kids go batty? Today is day two and I haven't missed it. I have been busy which isn't a fair assessment. How will I do when I am at home and wanting to veg and I can't plop? We will see?
I must say so far it has made me more relaxed. There is less need for structure because I found before, that I wanted the kids in bed by a certain time to watch TV. Now....who cares. They still go to bed at a decent hour but we have been reading longer and hanging out chatting. My husband and I have been hanging in fun creative ways the last two nights...wink wink. Not a bad fringe benefit. It feels to me the last two days have had more hours in them.....they haven't but I have been more engaged and connected to those things most important to me. We may never turn back. :o)

4 comments:

Tami said...

I love it...
but my hubby likes TV alot. We may never be without one, but I would just love it. I agree with all you've said. I love the days when there is no TV. Creativity flows so freely without the distraction. Bless you, Tami

Mrs. "M" said...

Good Morning Tami,

My hubby likes TV too. I was a bit surprised he agreed. It was my idea :o). We as a couple are working on some areas of communication that we have let slide. And he agreed that it would be good timing for a break to make these changes easier. It may be wishful thinking that we won't get the TV out again. We have talked about getting software to use for movies on the computer and maybe getting rid of the TV. We will see. I am hoping the blessings we gain will motivate us to stick with it.

Melanie said...

Way to go! We sure like not having any regular TV - just DVD's. It is probably the one thing that sets us apart from most of our friends and neighbours, especially when we have no clue about what TV show or commercial they are talking about.

Stacy said...

Way to go!
You will continue to love not having it. Ours is downstairs (not the main floor of our home). Out of sight, out of mind. We only ever watch movies (a couple a month) and now that it's downstairs the kids RARELY watch videos, either.
Of course, we still pay cable for the occasional Steelers game. :)
~Stacy
ps- Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. (((Hugs to you!)))