Friday, January 04, 2008

Fresh New Year

I love when a new year comes. There is a freshness in it that I enjoy. I like looking over the last year and reflecting.....where have I grown....where do I still need to grow. I have to guard my heart with resolutions. I can easily tend towards legalism. It is a constant temptation with a very all or nothing personality and perfectionist tendencies.
One area I have grown much in the last few years is in being more flexible There is still room for improvement but am grateful to see God's grace in that area. Each new year I try to set a few goals to work toward. Working toward something is better for me then deciding I "will" do such and such. First I don't know what the year will hold. Secondly, it's easier for me to become rigid over something definitive then something in progress. I appreciated the post over at girl talk about working on one area of change at a time. Real wisdom if you ask me. I like to break it done into three categories and have one major thing in each.
  • My growth, both spiritual and physical

  • My family

  • Others

My growth

Spiritual - I am beginning this year with an Elizabeth Elliot devotion called Keeping a Quiet Heart. I have gone through a Spurgeon devo the last two years and wanted a change. You will also see how this is strategic in light of My Family goals. I am also reading through the New Testament this year starting in Galatians. I also have a book list for the year. That will be a whole new post.

Physically - Exercising at least 4 times a week. I already try to do this and have for over a year. I am going to track my miles jogged or walked; and the numbers of minutes doing Pilates (if i ever do it:o) Another area is continue with healthier eating. This ties into our family goals too. I am going to try and master yoghurt making this year as a healthier alternative. I want to work toward making more and more from scratch . We are thrilled with my homemade granola recipe.

My Family - The healthier eating is a big one. The other area is a struggle to see daily interruptions as God's opportunity and work in my life. I have been through some hard things in the last several years. I have navigated or responded better in those circumstances then I do with daily petty issues. I allow frustration (code word for anger) to fly in those moments when things should be smooth and they aren't, it's selfish expectations and ambition to the max. Every moment, those planned and those not, are apart of His sovereign will for my family and I. My response in those moments is crucial. So this year, I plan to focus on responding in a godly way, working at keeping a quiet heart and applying sovereign trust in the little, like I would in the big. I am still working out how this will look practically on a daily basis. One question I ask myself that has helped is: Who's kingdom are you building right now....yours or His?

Others - is to be diligent in remembering birthdays and making the effort to bless others.....even if it's just a phone call. I can be so bad about procrastinating and then doing nothing.

This is a quote from the beginning of Keeping a Quiet Heart. I will carry this quote with me this year.

"I think I find most help in trying to look on all the interruptions and hindrances to work that one has planned out for oneself as discipline, trials sent by God to help one against getting selfish over one's work. Then one can feel that perhaps one's true work - one's work for God - consists in doing some trifling haphazard thing that has been thrown into one's day. It is not a waste of time, as one is tempted to think, it is the most important part of the work of the day - the part one can best offer to God. After such a hindrance, do not rush after the planned work; trust that the time to finish it will be given sometime, and keep a quiet heart about it. "

Annie Keary, 1825-1879

3 comments:

Hester said...

Hope the calendar helps with the fourth category!
Cheers...

Alicia said...

Thanks for visitng my blog, Mrs.M. :^) I like your goals; my husband and I were just writing out our family and peronal goals this evening.

Tracy said...

I am so bad at remembering everyone's birthdays...that would be a good goal for me!