Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Notes from My Personal Retreat

I had my bi-annual personal retreat a few weeks ago. I came away with a few things that need to be worked on, some spiritual and some practical. One area I am working on is a last few eating habits. I am working toward moving even more processed pre-prepared food out of our house. The big ones to still overcome are store bought granola bars, boxed mac and cheese and certain sauce mixes. I have never enjoyed cooking much until this year. I have tried to see it as more of an experiment then a chore:o) it has helped. Making things from scratch taste so much better too.
Over time I have coverted my family to whole wheat pasta. I have also been searching for a granola bar recipe that had the right ingredients and consistency. I have finally found one. It calls for a cup of sugar but I simply don't use that much. Each time I have made it, I have reduced the sugar. The great thing about this easy to make bar is the consistency. If I want crunchy granola bars I cook it 30 minutes. If I want soft & chewy I bake for only 10-15 minutes. I don't have to change any of the ingredients. We call these granola bars "The Eaton Bar". This is the last name of the person who gave me the recipe (Thanks M!) and the kids think it's funny to call them "The Eat'n Bar" because we eat them. Doesn't take much to amuse my kiddos.

The Eaton Bar
2 1/2 cups whole grain oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar (I drop this)
1/2 cup flour (I use W.W.)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
chocolate chips to taste :o)
Mix wet and dry separate, then mix well together
Spread evenly in 9x12 pan
Bake @ 325F for 10-20 minutes
(depending on consistency desired)


It doesn't get any easier. I am thinking about cooking down some cranberries and adding those for a little pizazz. I attempted a homemade Mac and Cheese but it didn't go over well....partly because I made it too saucy. I have had fun finding my own sauces to whip up. I recently found a great Lemon Stir Fry sauce I loved. I am always looking for recipes so bring on the Mac and Cheese and sauces:o)

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Those look yummy!

Tami said...

I am going to try this recipe. I have been searching for a granola bar recipe too. We love homemade everything around here. My dear hubby loves cold cereal so we have that around occasionally.
Thank you so much for the prayers.
In God's Love, Tami

Mrs. "M" said...

Hi Tami,

Let me know what you think!

Stephanie said...

That sounds good! I'm going to try it! Thanks!