Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Spurgeon

"Think not that Christ hath placed His joys on heavenly shelves that we may climb up to them for ourselves, but He draws near, and sheds His peace abroad in our hearts. O Christian, if thou art to-night labouring under deep distresses, thy Father does not give thee promises and then leave thee to draw them up from the Word like buckets from a well, but the promises He has written in the Word He will write anew on your heart. He will manifest His love to you, and by His blessed Spirit, dispel your cares and troubles. Be it known unto thee, O mourner, that it is God's prerogative to wipe every tear from the eye of His people."

"Glorious gospel! which provides everything for the helpless, which draws nigh to us when we cannot reach after it--brings us grace before we seek for grace!"

This has been refreshing my soul this week. I am grateful to be reminded again that I don't have to labor and climb for His joy. His promises are true and in Him is rest. He provides it all!
Read the entire entry here.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I love this. God and His words are so sweet...I am sure this HAS helped you lately!

Beka said...

Wow... such comforting and heartening words. I needed this reminder so much right now. I praise the Lord that He draws nigh to us and sheds His peace in our hearts.