Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Chili and Cornbread

I am posting a recipe for the Recipe Round-Up hosted my friend over at Motherhood Apologia. The round up is for freezer recipes....brrrrrr! I am someone who is s-l-o-w-l-y growing into to liking to cook. It's a real answer to prayer because I am going to be doing it for the rest of my life. By God's grace I have begun to see it as a form of creativity.....a year ago I would have laughed at that idea.
My Chili recipe is easy and a favorite around here. We add shredded cheese and sour cream. I also make corn bread and salad but not necessary. I freeze it either in single servings for lunches based on how much there is leftover or on one serving for a complete meal. I usually make a double batch when I make it. What I love about this recipe is it doesn't take all day to make. You cook the meat and simmer 20 minutes and your done. It tastes so good too!

Chili

1 pound lean ground beef
1 c. chopped onion
3/4 c. green pepper
1 clove garlic (I add 3 ish but we love garlic)
1 16 oz. can of tomatoes cut up
1 16 oz. can dark kidney beans drained
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. dried basil (fresh is good too)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Cook beef, onion, pepper and garlic till meat is brown. Drain if needed. Stir in undrained tomatoes, drained beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Makes 4-6 servings

Corn Bread (not for freezing but easy and yummy)

1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. corn meal
2 tablespoons sugar (I always do less)
4 tsp. of baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
1/4 c. oil
1 egg slightly beaten

Heat oven to 425 F. Grease 8-9 inch square pan (round works fine too). Combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in remaining ingredients beating by hand just until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 425 for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Makes 9 servings.

5 comments:

Loraena said...

I make chili from my mom's old recipe that is almost exactly like this! Mmmm...

ellen b said...

Yum. I love chili and cornbread. Thanks for sharing this recipe...

Melanie said...

mmm, chili & cornbread is one of my favourite combinations. I posted my chili recipe too, but I am always refining mine so am always curious about how others make theirs.
PS I Love the chedder & SC combo on mine too - are rare treat around here =D

Karen said...

I love me some chili! Especially on those cool fall days...thanks for this recipe!

Robin said...

My recipe is similar to this, about the only deviation is garlic! And we LOVE garlic (but it never occurred to me to add it).

I'm late getting around to recipes, but does it matter? I can't cook 'em all in a day! :)