Thursday, October 04, 2007

Canadian Thanksgiving

We are off this afternoon to visit family for Thanksgiving Canadian style. Since living in Canada I have accepted that the holiday here, is very different then the States. It just doesn't seem as important here. Oh well, the way I look at it, I get to celebrate twice....which means I get turkey and pies twice.
My most favorite part about Thanksgiving is making pies. I enjoy the process of making them, smelling them in the oven and then eating them. I also like tradition. This year I plan to get all the cousins to make a notebook page (yes I am a homeschooler) of the things they are thankful for....then year after year compile them in a notebook. It should be such fun when they grow up to look through those as a family.
Hope you have a great weekend....I will be making pies and eating turkey.

This is my favorite no fail pie pastry ...if anyone wants to try a pie this weekend.

Pie Pastry

5 cups flour
1 cup margarine
1 cup lard (forgive me...I was born in the southern USA)
1/2 baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 cup COLD water

Combine the flour, salt and baking powder then add margarine and lard. Blend in with fork or your fingers till crumbling. Add vinegar and 1 cup COLD water and form into dough. This makes 5-6 individual crust at a time. Roll on floured surface and make your pie. I form the left over into balls enough for individual crust and freeze. Defrost and roll for you next pie!

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your pies!

Melanie said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
Is this really a egg-free pastry recipe? And it really turns out well? I will definately be trying this one. Thank you.
As for the lard...is that the same as shortning? If I used Critco that would work?

Melanie said...

We tried your recipe this weekend! It turned out great. Luke loved being able to have some apple pie, and ate only the crust!
We also made turkey pot pies for the freezer; a dish I didn't think we could have.
Thanks again for this!

Mrs. "M" said...

That's so great! It makes me very happy to know Your family can enjoy something new! Yeah for Luke!
Turkey pot pie sounds yummy.

Melanie said...

I should be more accurate "we" was really my mother-in-law; she made the apple and pot-pies. I rested =D

Dawnelle said...

Found you through Life in Oregon- we lived in Canada for 3 years for my husband's job and I totally get the Thanksgiving thing- it isn't as big! And it's so EARLY!