Thursday, July 19, 2007

Breaking a bad habit.

I enjoy reading but I have a very bad habit of reading to many books at once. I typically have 5 books going at one time but I feel that I benefit less from what I am reading because it takes me so long to finish each book. I confess I am a "mood reader". What I mean, is I like to read different genres depending on the day. I remember reading something I think by C.J. Mahaney....that it is better to read one book and apply it to your life then to read many and do nothing with them. Though I wouldn't say I do nothing with the books I read, I could definitely benefit more from reading less at one time. So my plan is to allow my self only 3 books at a time. This doesn't mean I have to read three but that I can't read more than that. One of these books will be a biography or fiction. I like to have a book I can read anywhere or be interrupted and it doesn't matter. When I am reading a book that is teaching me truth I like to be uninterrupted. I tend to read those in the evenings or after my quiet time if the kids are still sleeping. I also enjoy reading something worth meditating on before I exercise.....then I can spend that half hour focusing my thoughts in that way. I love reading Spurgeon in the morning!


So here are the three books I am reading now.


From Grief to Glory by James W. Bruce given to me as a gift by my friend Melanie. Grief has become a part of my life since the death of our son and our struggle with secondary infertility. God has used it to build intimacy with himself...for my good and His glory! This book shares the stories of those who grieved like Luther, Spurgeon, Calvin and more.

I am also reading Helper By Design by Elyse Fitzpatrick. I want to be reading books that will grow me in my marriage and parenting. I have just started this book recently. I hope to post about it every chapter or two. It has questions at the end for thought and application. She even asks you to summarize each chapter in writing for your own benefit.

Lastly I am reading a biography called Leaving the Saints by Martha Beck. She grew up in the Mormon church and it tells the story of why she left.

I am also looking for some good fiction to explore. I enjoy historical fiction but not when it is mostly based around romance. I am not really into science-fiction unless it has strong character development and plot. Any suggestions for fiction are welcome!

11 comments:

Melanie said...

I can totaly relate!!!!
I have Helper By Design but haven't read it yet. I'm interested to see what your thoughts are as you read it.
As you know I love fiction, so mabey I post a list of my favourtites tomorrow!

Leslie said...

My favorite fiction is The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien. It's long, but it's absolutely wonderful! You could think of it as three small books if that would help.

I have also enjoyed The Mitford Series by Jan Karon.

I'm not much for fiction. I am usually reading three or more non-fiction books at once, too.

Heather_in_WI said...

That's a horrible quote. I don't like it at all. Maybe she was applying it to theological books. I can only read one of those at a time, LOL. {grin}

I, too, read about 5 books at once -- for the same reasons! :-)

Are you looking for light fiction or heavy fiction?

For light fiction, I recommend Jane Eyre. For heavy, Anna Karenina.

Have you already read those?

Mrs. "M" said...

Your right Heather. I am sure he was talking about books on the cross or something like that. I don't like it when I cannot remember a quote exactly but it had a profound impact on me.

Well..... I'm not sure what the distinction is between light or heavy fiction but I like a good story that is somewhat believable with strong chracter development and story line...I don't mind learning something too....oh and I love a good story with purpose. I have to be captivated at the beginning to stick with a fiction piece. Boy I am hard to please!

Heather_in_WI said...

Oh, you know, I had it in my head that it was *Carolyn* -- his wife's quote. LOL. Silly me.

Well, serious fiction -- requires paying attention and in-depth thought analysis. Light fiction .... not so much. Although, Jane Eyre, who I put as light, is certainly 'heavier' than any modern day chick-lit! ;-)

Seriously, both books, if you've never read them are *must reads*!!!

eclecticeducation said...

Wow! I would have trouble keeping all the books strait! I usually read only two at a time. One for fun, one to learn from.

Staci in WA said...

I can so relate. I think I have about 5 or 6 books on my nightstand right now! My favorite fiction: Narnia books by CS Lewis, Mark of the Lion books by Francine Rivers and for very secular light fluff John Grisham books. Good luck to you on reading only 3 books at a time. Let us know how that goes!
Blessings
~Staci

Cara said...

Hmmm... you mentioned science fiction, which I never read, except for C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy. The three titles, in case you're interested are: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength. (Jacque just read them too and enjoyed them.) I think they would qualify as strong in both plot and character development. Plus they contain some pretty fascinating theological insights... allegorical, mostly. And there's no romance to bog them down! ;)

Tina said...

I have the bad habit of reading too many books at once too!! Thank you for visiting my blog.

Hes said...

Woah... too deep for me :-)

I'm reading a string of murder mysteries by Katherine Aird. Nice and light.

Echo the sentiments re: Jane Eyre or anything else Austin or Bronte. Also the historical fiction. My #1 favorite is Georgette Heyer. Witty and romantic...Mmmmm. I like romantic. Can I still be your friend?

Loraena said...

I too resonate with this post! My problem lies with actually buying books (goodwill, used book stores), and stockpiling a huge list of reading! Then I start one, but befreo I've finished it, another in the stack catches my eye and I start that too - in the mean time I somehow accumulate a couple more.

Right now I am on a book buying fast. No new books until I have read and decided whether I will keep or resell a large percentage of the unread books I have.

To answer your question, I echo the suggestions above! I really love "To Kill a Mockingbird". Also the Tillerman cycle by Cynthia Voigt.

For Christian historical fiction, I've really enjoyed the books by Bodie Theone, especially the Zion Covenant series.

Also, books by Jamie Langston Turner are exceptionally well-written for christian fiction. "Some Wildflower in My Heart" and "Suncatchers" are my favorites of hers.