Friday, March 02, 2007

When Words Are Wind

I have recently start a devotional by John Piper called "The Godward Life". I have been reading Spurgeon for awhile and wanted to go modern LOL! I am very much enjoying Piper's book. It is so applicable to life. This mornings entry was especially encouraging to me. When my son Jonah died I was the desperate one. We did have our sore reproved though God used it for our good and his glory....I long for God to use what we went through to care for others with love and wisdom.

Do you think that you can reprove words, when speech of a despairing man is wind? Job 6:26 (RSV)

Are you going to condemn me just because I impulsively cried out in desperation? Job 6:26 (LB)

"When in grief and pain and despair, people often say things they would not otherwise say. They paint reality with darker strokes then they will paint tomorrow, when the sun comes up. They sing in minor keys and talk as though that were the only music. They see only clouds and speak as if there were no sky.".......

"How quickly we are given to defending God- or sometimes the truth - from words that are for the wind alone. There are enough words, premeditated and studied, that need our rebuttal, but not every despairing heresy blurted out in the hour of agony needs to be answered. If we had discernment, we could tell the difference between the words with roots and the words blowing in the wind.
There are words rooted in deep error and deep evil. But not all gray words get their color from a black heart. Some are colored mainly by the pain, the despair. What you hear is not the deepest thing within. There is something real within, where words come from, but it is temporary - like a passing infection - real, painful, but not the true person.
"Let us learn to discern whether the words spoken against us or God or against the truth are merely for the wind-spoken not from the soul, but from the sore. If they are for the wind, let us wait in silence and not reprove.

Restoring the soul, not reproving the sore, is the aim of our love." John Piper

2 comments:

Melanie said...

"...words that are for the wind." How very true! There is a certain thinking aloud we do as we try to reconcile the difficult situations we are walking through with the truth we know; often the gap is large. Especially when dealing with the loss of a child, that seems to rip apart all that we know and trust. I found that the words of my friends floated away on the wind as my ears weren't hearing much during my greif. Nothing much could be said that was helpful! What an example Job's friends are who for a week just sat a listened without saying words (2:13).

Christina said...

Hi there! I came over from Leslie's blog. Thank you for sharing this. I love reading Spurgeon and Piper too. Yesterday I had a day where the sky was painted in much darker clouds than where really there. And today, after feeling a bit better, I was so discouraged by my lack of faith, and my many tears. Thank you for posting about your journey and how God has helped you through it.