Saturday, December 30, 2006

Praise Her In The Gates The Calling of Christian Motherhood

This is a book by Nancy Wilson. I borrowed it from a friend. It is a small book and I read it over our 5 days Christmas break on the Island. It was well worth my time. She gets to the point and doesn't play around and I appreciate that. I am reading another mothering book and I am almost bored not because what she is saying is not good but it's drawn out too long.

There were some main things that really hit home for me. She talked about joy and rejoicing in the home. Though I have heard this we have come through a season of much change and busyness...it was good for my heart to hear!

"Our homes should be characterized by much joy and it isn't a quiet joy - it's loud. The righteous have much to celebrate and we should be rejoicing in our salvation everyday. We have a daily opportunities to love our children and to teach them how to rejoice with us" Chapter 5

She spends much time talking about the family table. How it relates to communion and the life of the family. She has a chapter on raising boys and girls. One chapter that struck me was her chapter on education. She talks about how in the name of "character" we don't educate our children well. Making the point that yes character is more important but educating well creates the opportunities to face character issues. Why can't we have well mannered, godly, well educated children. Why does it have to be one or the other?

"We must be aware of mediocrity, excuses, and laziness. When we excuse ourselves from hard work because we are working on "character" we deceive ourselves. When we do not provide a rigorous education for our daughters because we don't think they'll need it, we are short-sighted and may be using this as an excuse for our own laziness." Chapter 10

Chapter 12 talks about the Domestic Arts. I love this chapter because she ties a daughters education into her calling as a mother and wife. She is talking about a group pf college students who were meeting to grow in the domestic arts. This was a comment made.

"One of these young ladies commented that it seemed in this community that the more educated the girls become, the more domestic they become. This observation was a great blessing to me, because we don't want our girls to become educated so they will abandon their calling; rather, we want their education to equip them all the more to be domestic." Chapter 12

I so appreciated this. I am classically educating all my children. Though we are clearly teaching them different roles and responsibilities. I so believe a girl should be educated for God's glory and that the education is not wasted in caring for a family and educating her own children.

3 comments:

Heather_in_WI said...

Hey girl!

I love, love, love this book. It's one of the few "women's" books that I feel comfortable recommending without disclaimers! :) Thanks for the reminder -- I want, no need, to go read it again. (I'm feeling rather crabby today. For no rational reason. And no, it's not that time of the month.) Joy..... a joyful home .... definitely not something I've been even attempting to create today. :(

BTW, I saw your post below. I know that a lot of the women on TWTM curriculum board are using Singapore *with* Horizons. If you ask over there, you're sure to get a lot of advice & wisdom about the strengths/weaknesses of the two programs. One person that I would specifically pay attention to is the "Abbeyej" mom. She was homeschooled and homeschools her own children and combines the two. I've always learned a lot from her posts. HTH! :)

Gen and Steve said...

Hi again Mrs. M.!!

I just posted a great article on our site regarding a crisis of faith. You should come by and check it out...I thought of you (and others like us!!) when I read it!!

Gen

Leslie said...

This sounds really good! I'll have to check it out.