Friday, September 08, 2006

First Week of School

The first week is already over. We had a blast. I was going to post my school/home schedule for this year but thought I better see if it works first. I was pleasantly surprised that most everything worked out great. I still need to plan some more activities for my three yr old but other then that we are good to go. I am a scheduler. It is a bit of a joke with some friends. I have been thinking much lately about why I am that way. That is another post.
So though this may look detailed I refer to it as more of a routine. I have chunks of the day that have certain things that need to be done. All is flexible around the concrete things like wake time, meal times, bedtimes ect.

Wake 6:15
coffee, time with God
7:00 am
kids up, dress, make beds
breakfast, clean up
unload DW & fold one load of laundry and put away
mom treadmill, kids read and play on moms bed
shower
9:15 am
Circle time (bible and memory work)
Math
Once per week subject (ex. Art Pac)
Snack/free time or recess
Language Arts
History/Science depending on the day
12:30
Lunch
Outside/free time
Toddler Storytime
1:30
Nap 3 yr old
Read aloud 6 yr old
2pm
Quiet time
6yr old reading, listening to stories on CD, crafts
Mom emails, phone calls, etc
3:30
Snack
Free time for all
4:30
dinner prep
5:30
dinner
clean up, family time, bible, baths, read aloud
8:00
bed

I used to schedule cleaning into my day at a specific time. That doesn't work for me anymore. I was a slave to the time. I also have grown in my own self discipline to be able to say I need to do XYZ today and for the most part do it. I have a weekly rotation written down. I am trying to leave Friday open for the things that go undone due to life. I find bits of time here and there. I usually clean the bathroom while a child is bathing or the kitchen during dinner prep. We also do have a small house. I cannot imagine cleaning some of the mansions in our city.
The one thing that has
changed my daily house keeping life is how I now do laundry. It would always pile up and haunt me everyday. It was a source of stress for me. I never had it done or away. I now put one load of laundry in after the kids go to bed. I throw it in the dryer before I go to bed. I then fold one load of laundry every morning after I unload the dishwasher and before I jump on the treadmill. I start Sunday night and go through Friday night. That is 6 loads per week. On Thursday I wash all the sheets during the day. That totals 7 loads of laundry a week. It works great for our family of 4. I think what is helping is that the week before school started I did all the deep cleaning stuff and I made sure everything had a place and was in it's place. Clean up has gotten much smoother. Every toy has a permanent home. I think they and we are more happy.

I am loving Veritas Press History so far. And I really like First Language Lessons too. It is so laid back......I think it's nap time. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I loved reading your school schedule. Sounds great to me!
You wrote this:
"I also have grown in my own self discipline to be able to say I need to do XYZ today and for the most part do it. I have a weekly rotation written down."
That's what I'm working on.... sticking to it with the XYZ that needs to get done. And I'd love to hear what your weekly rotation is if you care to share!
~Stacy