Saturday, September 02, 2006

Body, Mind and Spirit

How many times have we heard those three words. They have been much in my thoughts lately. I think most women are aware of their bodies and the need to take care of them. I sure am grateful for my new treadmill. I have tried the gym, walking out doors, videos and they haven't worked well. The treadmill is here to stay! Most Christian women I know are very aware of the need to grow spiritually and to cultivate their personal relationship with God. There definitely are plenty of resources to help. The area where I think it is easy for women especially of small children to let slide is the "mind". Before anyone throws tomatoes, I am not saying we are not smart I would say just the opposite. I personally find it easy to let my brain go unexercised long before I let my body or spirit go. I think it is important that we not forget to stimulate our minds appropriately. Reading is the easiest most enjoyable way. Reading is to the brain like the treadmill is to my backside. It works it out and leaves noticeable results. Learning something new is also important. I have wanted to learn to quilt for a long time. I need to do it! I have also wanted to do more writing but can always find an excuse to put it off. Memorization is another good exercise for the mind and spirit. When I am challenging my mind I do my other everyday task more efficiently and refreshed. All this said bearing in mind that all we pursue should be in light of God's glory and the precious role and calling of motherhood and helper to our husbands.

So here's my current plan for Body, Mind and Spirit:

Body
Treadmill 5x per week (already on week 2 of this with a few days missed)
Go to bed earlier
Eat high protein/ low carb (lost 12 pounds in the last 3 months)

Mind
I have just started to read Victor Hugo's "Les Miserables" again. I read it over ten years ago. This is my favorite book of all time AND it is over 1.000 pages long. More on another post.

I plan to record the words I routinely misspell and learn them. They will be crossed off my list once I can consistently spell them correctly. Spell check though helpful makes for a lazy brain.

I am starting a quote /copy book. It is where I will compile all the quotes or poems I like. I will do it in my best penmanship. Penmanship is a dying art. I can type but would always rather write by hand.

Spirit
I am starting to read through the bible starting in Genesis and the NT. I cannot do it in one year I have tried so I am taking two years to do it. When we start studying Creation next week I will start my reading plan.

Read one book on the cross this year slowly and actually apply what I have read instead of saying "great stuff" and then going on with life. (haven't decided which book yet...any suggestions welcome)

Create and maintain a prayer list with a record of those answered.

Memorize portions of scripture. I am currently working on Deuteronomy 6:4-9
and 1 Corinthians 1:27-31

I would encourage you to think through these three areas yourself if you haven't already.

4 comments:

Heather_in_WI said...

Hey cyber twin!

Yay for us that we're *doing* something good for ourselves! It's neat that we're experiencing this at the same time. ;)

~Heather

Gen said...

WOW! I can't express enough how much I have been pondering the same things!

I just love your blog and feel as though I relate to so much of it.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Mrs. "M" said...

Hi Gen,

Thanks for coming for a visit.

Stacy said...

I SO wish I had a treadmill! Not that we have room for it, though!
Like your Body, Mind and Spirit goals. That's a great idea. I'll have to come up with some for myself, too! :)
~Stacy