Thursday, August 17, 2006

As though He needed anything

24 The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, [1] 25 nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. 26 And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, 27 that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us, 28 for
In him we live and move and have our being;
Acts 17: 24-28

I have been camping out on this Scripture this week. It was part of a very good message at my church last Sunday (Go Dan!). I feel privileged to be apart of such a great part of the body of Christ.
Life of late (really the last few years) has brought me face to face with how desperate I am. I can do nothing apart from Him though I try daily. My self sufficiency shows itself like a chronic disease.
As I meditate on this Scripture I am so aware of my great need and God's lack of any need. He does not need sleep, food, water. He is not limited by an aging body, a slowly deteriorating mind, He is never sick. He never struggles to decide anything, or to speak the right word at the right time, He does not wavier in His feelings. I am consumed by how BIG and STRONG He is.....yet it is hard for my little mind to even imagine such perfection. He has not one weakness! What a relief! Such peace floods my soul knowing He does not "live in temples made by man, nor is served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since He Himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything."
So I in my pride struggle with self sufficiency and am reminded regularly that I am in great need of a savior and a perfect father and friend. And by God's grace I have all three....while deserving nothing.

When I am desperate.....He is strong!

No comments: