Saturday, May 27, 2006

What are you reading?

I am one of those people who always has at least one book on the go all the time. I usually have 3 to 6 on the go. I like to have a novel, then a biblical teaching book, then something about homeschooling, and the list goes on. This is what I am reading right now.

Teach Then Diligently by Lou Priolo
I love this book so far. It is so practical. It focuses on using scripture in child training. So helpful if you didn't grow up in a Christian home to learn this by example. It is very helpful to me.

Honey for A Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt
It is about books and reading in a child's life. She has some great insight and considers The Book the top priority.

Safe in the Arms of God by John MacArthur
This book is breath of fresh air for anyone who has had a miscarriage or lost a baby or child. It has brought peace to my soul in relation to Jonah's death and the loss of out 2nd little girl due to miscarriage. This book proves by scripture that babies go to heaven plus lots more. It really isn't for those who have had a very recent loss in my opinion. There are some very hard stories to read.

Is Your Bed Still There When You Close The Door? and other playful ponderings
by Jane M. Healy
This is a really neat book. It talks about the benefits and need to have creative and intelligent conversation with our children. It has some questions to ask to get you started. I recommend this to anyone with children.

Endangered Minds Why Children Don't Think-and What We Can Do About It
by Jane M. Healy
This book addresses development of a child's brain, thinking process etc. It talks about the cultural things that work against thinking and concentration. I have found it interesting and informative. It makes me think.

I just finished Pride and Prejudice. I am trying to decide between Emma by J. Austen or Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. I read Les Mis about 10 years ago and it became my favorite book. I was single then and had lots more time. This book has about 1500 pages. I might be 60 before I finish it this time. But the story cannot be beat and he develops his characters with such grace and depth.

So what are you reading?

No comments: